Sunday 15 November 2015

Embracing Autumn

Autumn is actually one of my favourite times of year. OK, summer is over (and it really is now we've been back from our nice sunny holiday for a couple of weeks!), it's only going to keep getting darker - for the next few weeks at least - but a combination of beautiful colours, evenings by the fire, and the expectation of Christmas around the corner, all add up to a really good season.


It's in the autumn that I feel I really appreciate where we live. Suburban London has some great parks and we have a lot of trees - these pictures were taken a week or so ago when we went out for an afternoon walk. My neighbour across the road from me has the best tree in her front garden - I'm not sure what it is - but the leaves turn an almost fluorescent orange. It's the view from my desk, and just a few have started to turn as I write this (it also has amazing bright pink blossom in the spring - a type of cherry maybe - she'd better not ever get rid of it!).


I like to take the opportunity to go out for walks while the weather is still relatively mild - we had a really warm week last week but the scarf is back out now (bonfire night was so mild I was almost too hot standing in the park in the dark waiting for the fireworks to start!). We discovered a beautiful, quiet (and very old) graveyard when we were out on our recent walk - there are still quite a few things I've yet to discover in the local area despite living here for 5 years.


Now if you're also a fan of autumn colour, and a walk, there are lots of great places in London and the South East to see it - which should be reaching it's best about now.

One of my favourites is Sheffield Park in Sussex (we used to go here a lot when I was a child and it always makes me think of my grandparents). Here are some pictures I took there when we visited a few years ago...




Other top spots include:







Do you have any autumn colour spots you can recommend near where you live?











No comments:

Post a Comment